Menu

Greenway Downs

A Community Since 1942

Welcome

The Greenway Downs Citizens Association (GDCA) is a non-profit, non-partisan association of residents that represents approximately 450 households in Fairfax County.

The GDCA was born in 1942 when  a group of citizens gathered together  for some collective bargaining with Fairfax County because  sewage was bubbling up in their back yards and draining into a little stream that ran along Cavalier Trail.  

Today, the GDCA is proud to be both one of the oldest and currently active civic associations in Northern Virginia.

We are a long-standing member of the Fairfax County Federation of Civic Associations.

Quick Reference for New REsidents

Fairfax County

Application for Residential Permit Parking District

Trash Collection

Fall 2019 Newsletter

Directory Validation Sheet

August GDCA Board Mtg 

 

GDCA Paper Trail

Annual Community Meetings 

Board Meetings

Social Committee Meeting 

Newsletters

History of the GDCA

Brief History of Greenway Downs

The history of what we now call home in Greenway Downs can be divided into 4 rather distinct phases. 

In the pre-civil war days most of the land was part of a much larger tract of farmland owned by the Dulany family until they sold it in 1867.

Our portion of the farm was bought by Silas Tripp of Dutchess County, New York . He worked the farm and built the quarry to run as a business. Both the farm and the quarry stayed in the Tripp family until bankruptcy forced a cash sale of the 109 acres in 1924.

The completion of the Key Bridge in 1923 and the subsequent building of the 16-mile stretch of Lee Highway from Washington to Fairfax ushered in the third phase.  Land speculators and developers gobbled up acres of farmland along this new highway corridor for housing developments. This bubble happened so fast that by 1925 a plot of land near Falls Church had  risen nearly 1,000 percent.

Ruby Lee Minar, a very successful and well-known business woman and developer in her time,  jettisoned us into the suburban phase when she sent the bulldozers into her newly acquired 100 acres of the old Tripp Farm to carve out affordable home sites to feed the Washington, D.C. demand for new housing.

Mrs. Minar's land development business came to a screeching halt with the crash of 1929. She did  sell enough lots to create our fledgling neighborhood and give us our name, Greenway Downs , but it was not until after World War II and the subsequent building boom that we entered our last and most recognizable phase of development.

Today, Greenway Downs is a compilation of Mrs. Minar's original 2 sections that she named Greenway Downs, a further extension of our boundaries into the Rixey estate west of Woodlawn Ave., and Mason Terrace, east of Summerfield Rd.

Each phase has its own fascinating story to tell, so enjoy some history!

Overview

Pre-Civil War

Post Civil War

Suburbia

Today